Nobody wants to have to deal with wrinkles on their chest and cleavage, but, unfortunately, this is something that often goes hand-in-hand with the aging process.
Don’t worry, all hope is not lost…
There are actually quite a few steps that you can take to prevent chest and cleavage wrinkles from forming, keeping your skin looking tight and smooth for years to come.
You probably already know how important it is to keep your face protected from the sun. After all, up to 90% of facial wrinkles are caused by sun exposure!
Wondering how the sun leads to wrinkles?
Well, when your skin is exposed to the sun, free radicals are formed in the body. Free radicals are molecules, but, unlike normal molecules, they are missing an electron. In order to replace this missing electron, free radicals attack the cells that surround them, trying to steal their electrons. Many times, they are successful, but this just means that those other cells turn into free radicals too.
These free radicals run wild in the body, degrading the skin’s collagen and elastin. Both collagen and elastin are structural proteins that hold the skin together, giving it its firmness, smoothness and tightness. Without these proteins, wrinkles and sagging skin become more apparent.
Keeping your skin well-protected from the sun is one of the best ways to minimize free radical exposure.
You can go ahead and use the same sunscreen that you use on your face on your chest and cleavage, making sure to also continuously reapply this through the day.
Make sure that your sunscreen is a broad-spectrum one, as this will protect you from both UVA and UVB rays. It also needs to have an SPF of at least 30, although you may need something higher if your skin is particularly sensitive.
Establish a Skincare Routine for Your Chest and Cleavage
You probably own several products that you use on your face each day, but do you apply this care to your chest and cleavage too?
If not, you really need to start doing so.
The skin on your chest and cleavage is quite thin, pretty much in line with the skin on your face.
What should your skin care routine consist of?
These steps are a must:
- Cleansing (make sure that you choose a mild and gentle cleanser designed for the face. Anything with harsh ingredients will only strip this area of its natural oils, making it prone to wrinkles even faster)
- Applying a serum
- Applying a moisturizer
You should be following these steps at least once a day. You may also need to apply your moisturizer throughout the day, as it is so important to keep the chest and cleavage constantly moisturized and hydrated. The skin on the chest and cleavage contains fewer oil glands than the skin on other parts of the body, meaning that it tends to dry out much faster.
If you don’t already have a moisturizer for the chest, the Diamond Neck & Face Lift would be a good product to start with. Thanks to the infusion of collagen and sunflower seed oil, this creamy blend will quickly boost moisture and hydration for the delicate skin on the chest and cleavage.
Exfoliating is also important, and this should be done once or twice a week. Use a chemical, rather than a physical, exfoliant.
Because physical exfoliants usually require a scrubbing action on the skin, which pulls at the skin and causes friction. Over time, this can actually end up making your skin even looser, exacerbating wrinkles. Chemical exfoliants are much more gentle, making them ideal for the delicate skin in this area.
Do you use a face mask?
This is something else that you can use on your chest and cleavage too. Granted, it’s a little harder with a sheet mask, but cream and clay masks can work wonders on this area.
Use the Right Products
Yes, the same products that you use on your face can be used on your chest and cleavage. However, make sure that those products are anti-aging ones, as these will contain the ingredients needed to prevent your wrinkles.
Which ingredients should you be looking out for?
The following are extremely important:
- Antioxidants – remember the free radicals that were mentioned above? The only way to prevent them from causing damage is with the use of antioxidants. These can be found in so many vitamins and botanical extracts, so make sure that your skin care products contain plenty of these
- Ceramides – ceramides nourish the skin’s protective barrier, helping to strengthen and thicken it. This then makes the skin overall more stronger and resilient, making it more difficult for wrinkles to form
- Peptides – peptides are quite unique ingredients. They send signals to your skin cells, telling them to perform in certain ways. The peptides that you will find in anti-aging products will encourage your skin cells to produce more collagen and elastin, resulting in smoother and firmer skin in the long run
- Glycolic Acid – when it comes to chemical exfoliants, which, as mentioned above, are the better option for the chest and cleavage, glycolic acid is the most potent. It has been proven to prevent wrinkles, and this is likely due to the way in which it significantly increases the skin’s natural production of collagen. However, make sure that you go for a low concentration, as you don’t want to irritate the delicate skin on your chest
- Vitamin A – this is another fantastic ingredient for stimulating the production of collagen
Adjust Your Sleeping Position
This may seem like quite a simple fix, but it really is effective…
For those of you who sleep on your side, adjusting your sleeping position could really help to prevent those chest wrinkles from forming.
Because sleeping on your side will lead to creases forming on your chest and cleavage. While you are young, these creases will usually bounce back into smooth skin once you get up. However, as you get older, these creases will start to stay put, soon turning into deeper wrinkles.
Sleeping on your back, instead of your side, can really help to prevent those wrinkles from forming. As an added bonus, it will help to keep your face wrinkle-free too!
Can’t seem to remain on your back all night?
If you have always slept on your side, you may find yourself automatically rolling over in the middle of the night.
Don’t worry, here are a few tips to stop that from happening:
- Place a pillow on either side of you, underneath each arm
- Place a row of pillow along either side of you as a barrier
- Use a specially-designed pillow to hold your head in place
- Keep a pillow underneath your knees, as this helps to maintain alignment of your back
Speaking of sleeping…
You should also be making sure that you are getting enough beauty sleep each night.
Wondering how this will help to prevent wrinkles on your chest?
Well, during the day, your skin works hard to protect itself from all of the damage that the environment around you could potentially be causing.
Many people think that when they go to sleep at night, their skin does the same, but the opposite is true…
Since your skin was so busy protecting itself during the day, it uses the time at night to heal any damage that has been caused, while regenerating skin cells and producing more collagen. Research has found that the skin regenerates so much faster at night than during the day, with this process peaking at around 2am.
How much sleep should you be getting each night?
Ideally, between seven and eight hours. This does depend on how active you are, along with how old you are. The younger and more active you are, the more sleep you will need.
Wear the Right Bra
This may seem surprising, but the bra you wear could actually be contributing to your chest wrinkles.
Well, sports bras, for example, are known for the way in which they constrict the skin tissue. This creates unnatural folds in the skin, which can lead to the onset of wrinkles.
Push-up bras have this effect too, causing the skin in the cleavage to fold and wrinkle.
Wondering what the best bra is to prevent cleavage wrinkles?
You need something supportive and structured, but one that enables your breasts to sit in a natural position.
Speaking of bras…
Did you know that there are special bras out there that have been designed to actually prevent cleavage wrinkles?
These may look a little strange at first glance, but it only takes about two weeks of wearing one of these each night to notice a difference.
Use Topical Patches / Chest Sheets
Just like the wrinkle-preventing sleep bra, topical chest patches may seem a little alien at first, but they really do work.
What are they?
They are medically-grade silicone pads that stick to the skin on the chest. The silicone in the pads draw moisture from the air to the surface of the skin, providing the skin with an instant hit of hydration. This on its own plumps up skin cells, giving them a smoother and fresher look.
As an added bonus, studies have also found that using silicone topically could also help to improve any irregular collagen fibers in the skin, while helping to speed up blood circulation too. This then has the effect of increasing skin cell turnover, giving the skin on the chest a much more youthful appearance.
The results are immediate, but won’t work on wrinkles that are extremely deep and pronounced. However, if your chest lines have only just started to appear, these pads could make a huge difference.
Practice A Healthy Lifestyle
Okay, so this tip isn’t solely for chest and cleavage wrinkles, it applies to preventing wrinkles anywhere on your face and body too.
There are certain lifestyle factors out there that can rapidly speed up the rate at which the skin ages, and, therefore, wrinkles.
Things that you should avoid include:
- Smoking – this starves the skin of oxygen, essentially suffocating it and preventing it from functioning in the way that it should
- Excessive alcohol consumption – this seriously dehydrates the skin, making it much more susceptible to developing wrinkles. Alcohol, along with smoking, also leads to the formation of free radicals in your skin. As discussed above, these destroy your skin’s collagen and elastin, accelerating the rate at which wrinkles form
- High-carb, sugar-filled foods – these have a number of effects on the skin, one of which is the degradation of the collagen that is keeping your skin smooth and tight
- Stress – stress causes the body to release a hormone called cortisol, which damages the skin’s collagen and elastin
When it comes to your diet, there are certain foods that you can eat to encourage your skin to create more collagen and elastin, therefore keeping your skin wrinkle-free for longer.
Fresh fruits and vegetables contain the vitamins and antioxidants needed to do this, especially those foods that are red, orange or dark green in color. Lean proteins provide your body with the amino acids needed for collagen production, while drinking plenty of water helps to flush out the toxins that would have otherwise contributed to wrinkles.
Lifestyle changes can take a while to implement, but it is never too late to start trying to live a healthier life. Start with small changes and then slowly build up on these, at a rate that feels comfortable to you. After all, you need to set yourself up for success rather than failure.
While chest and cleavage wrinkles may be an inevitable part of life, there are still steps that you can take to prevent these from forming too early on. From nourishing your skin with a wide range of wrinkle-preventing ingredients to trying out specialized bras and patches, actively caring for the skin on your chest and cleavage will help to keep it looking younger for so much longer.